January 7, 2009

Shared Work and Biggest Loser

I rarely discuss my job but here this post is an exception. As of 12/28 we are now part of the Shared Work Program through the State of MN until further notice. What does this mean? That I can only work 30 hrs per week and then will receive unemployment benefits for the other 10.
Basically we lost a lot of clients in a short amount of time so to avoid further layoffs, this was the best option.

How do I feel about this? It sucks being able to work only 30 hrs and we'll see what kind of hit we (Joe and I) take financially but on the bright side (yes, I can usually always find the bright side - annoying, I know) it means I will get to leave early on Thursdays and have Fridays off.

A good deal of my time is also spent working with 2 fabulous ladies out of the FL office so to keep roughly the same schedule as them, I also can't start at the crack of dawn like normal (because I can only work 8 hrs so if I came in at 6:30, would have to be out by 2:30) so I have started going to the gym before work, which brings me to the second part of this post, the biggest loser.

I have been at my current company for 3 years and this will be the 4th "biggest loser" challenge that we do. I did horribly the first time, the second time I won (it was right before my wedding) and the 3rd one I came in 2nd. There is usually at least 4 or 5 of us, we put in $15 and at the end of x number of weeks, the winner takes all.

This time, we have 7 or 8 ladies competing which means a nice big pot. We started on Monday and the contest will end July 1. Half way through we will do a weigh-in and the winner at that point gets their $15 back. The winner at the end, gets whatever is left. Just like the TV show, we calculate based on percent of weight lost.

So what is different about the fourth time of this? A) There is a lot more money B) I want bragging rights C) Amy's wedding - maybe that should be A or B.

So - what is my goal? 30 pounds by July 1st which equals just over 1 pound per week. One of the gals thought it would be fun to take before and after pictures so in the essence of full disclosure, here it is. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Liz Bower said...

Good Luck Brooke!!
I too am working on getting more in shape for the upcoming year. Some of this years challenges include 6 Triathlons and my first Marathon. My goal by March 31st is to complete a half Marathon and down at least 15 pounds. I started my training just before Thanksgiving!
Liz

Anonymous said...

LOL- We start our works "Biggest Loser" contest this up coming Monday! Great minds think so much alike! We have 8 girls and 1 man totaling 9 with $10 a head. We have weighs-in every 2 weeks with a "Personal Coach". (But we all have the same "personal coach" :P) 12 week goal and yes going by percent loss. Here we come Brooke to THIN GIRLS!