July 29, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars

Joe asked me the other day why we never have anything sweet in the house. He says he was asking for his son...riiighht.



I came across this recipe and had wanted to try it so I thought what the heck. The only change I would make is to use a sheet pan instead of a 9x13. I like my bars a little thinner and while I don't think this recipe would have filled up a sheet pan, I think it would have come out thinner than in the 9x13.

Ingredients
Cookie layer
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
3/4 tsp salt
1 T cider vinegar
1 egg
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
1/2 cup white chocolate chips

Cream Cheese layer
8 oz cream cheese (softened)
1/2 sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla

Directions
Preheat oven to 350.

In a large bowl, mix together the butter, shortening, sugars, vanilla, salt and vinegar. Beat in the egg. Add the the baking soda and flour and beat until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips and divide the dough into two equal portions. Set aside.
 

 
In a medium bowl beat the cream the cream cheese, sugar, egg and vanilla until smooth. 
 
 

In a 9x13 pan (I used use a sheet pan next time), spread half of the cookie dough mixture evenly across the bottom. I just took scoops of the dough and then spread it out across the bottom of the pan. 
 
 

Spread the cream cheese mixture on the top of the cookie dough.
 
 
 
Flatten the rest of the cookie dough between your hands into circles and then place on top of the cream cheese mixture.  
 

 
Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes, or until the top is brown and cooked through. Once cool, store in the fridge (although I'm not sure why...) Super yummy!! Like its probably a good idea its stored in the fridge so I don't take a bite every time I walk past the kitchen counter.
 
 

2 comments:

Amy said...

Looks delish! I nominated you for the versatile blogger award!

http://lukeandamysmith.blogspot.com/2012/08/versatile-blogger_2.html

nana said...

mmmm-goooood