July 22, 2012

Artisan Bread

I (me!!!!) made THIS!


I spend at least $4 or $5 at the store on bread like this. Now I don't have to thanks to this...


A cast iron pot is key. Ceramic should work too. If you don't have either, run (do not walk) and buy one.

I found this recipe on Pinterest and I've made it plain and another batch with smoked gouda and thyme. This is so easy and it's so good. The bread is really good with cheesy baked artichoke dip!

Ingredients
3 cups flour
1 3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp yeast (just buy a jar of yeast and keep it in the freezer instead of the packets - trust me)
1 1/2 cups water
Anything else you want to add (cheese, craisins, citrus zest, herbs)

Directions:
In a large bowl mix together flour, salt, yeast. Add water until everything is combined. The mixture will look sticky - that is good. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let sit on the counter 12-18 hours. I usually make on a Friday night and bake it Saturday morning.

When ready to bake, heat oven to 450. Once the oven is preheated put the covered pot in the oven and heat up for 30 minutes. While the pot is heating, place dough on a floured surface and shape into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit while the pot is heating.

When pot is heated, plop in the dough and cover. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Then remove cover and bake an additional 5-15 minutes or it may be done - depends on your oven. To test if the bread is done, knock on the bottom of the loaf - it should sound hollow. Let cool and enjoy!


1 comment:

Shan said...

This looks awesome. And easy. I'm not sure I can commit to starting something one day and finishing it the next just yet.