September 10, 2011

Blueberry Lemon Scones

Every morning as I drink my coffee at work I'm wishing for a muffin or something but am too cheap to stop and buy something. I came across this recipe and thought - what the heck, I'll give it a try. Since I've never made scones before, I stuck super close to the recipe except for the rolling out on the counter part. My dough was so incredibly sticky that I just scooped the dough out of the bowl and patted out on the baking sheet. I was a little nervous on how they'd turn out but they were delicious.

Ingredients
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 tbsp sugar

1 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup (1/4 lb) butter, cut into pieces
1 grated zest of a lemon
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 large egg

1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (if using frozen, don't thaw them)

Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 400F.
  2. In a large bowl, blend flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
  3. Add the butter and lemon zest and blend until the mixture is crumbly
  4. In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and egg.
  5. Add to the flour mixture and stir a few strokes; add the blueberries and stir just until combined.
At this point it says to pat out the dough but I have no idea how they did that since mine was so incredibly sticky. Instead, I greased the largest baking sheet I had and used a spoon to scoop out the dough which I patted into a circle.
I baked about til the tops were golden - I forgot to set a timer so I seriously have no idea how long. Maybe 20 or 30 minutes?

Anyway, they were actually really, really good and I'm looking forward to eating one with my morning coffee.



  

No comments: