February 28, 2009

Spicy Hot Chicken Soup

I found this recipe in Penzey's monthly newsletter/catalog and I have made it numerous times in 2 months. Every time, I keep forgetting to take a picture and to post the recipe. It is super yummy and great for a cold day.

Ingredients
12 oz chicken, cubed
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 red onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic or 2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 - 1 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (I use 3/4 tsp - 1 tsp made it quite hot)
1 tsp powdered ginger
1 can fire roasted w/ garlic diced tomatoes
6-8 cups chicken stock
1/2 box of medium shell noodles

Directions
Cook noodles according to package directions (I under cook them just a tad since they will be added to the soup)

Cube chicken. Add oil to pot and add chicken. After 4-5 minutes, add onions and garlic. After about 5 more minutes, add cayenne pepper and ginger. Add chicken stock. Drained can tomatoes and add to pot. Bring to boil.

Turn to low and add cooked noodles.

PS - I buy a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store deli and just cut that up - a little quicker and easier.

No comments: