June 17, 2010

Gooey Baby

We had our second "baby" class last night and my fabulous husband posed this question/statement to the group (about 9 other couples and the instructor) after we finished watching the movie that shows babies being born and placed on the mom right after birth.

His question/statement was something to the effect of: "How do the rest of you women feel about having the baby placed on you before it's wiped off. I don't want to touch my baby while it's covered in THAT."

This of course got a loud, roaring laugh from the rest of the guys in the class and the instructor. I think the women were actually shocked that a "partner" asked such a question and I rolled my eyes silently thinking "you have no idea, he could have asked so much worse!"

The instructor said that is a normal question she hears in classes and that we can state in our birth plan we (or just Joe) don't want to touch a "gooey baby" as she put it. My question to all you mother's, did you touch your "gooey baby" or did you tell the drs. to clean baby off before giving him/her to you? I'm on the fence. Yes, touching a gooey baby kinda creeps me out but I think at that moment, I really won't care (and who knows, maybe Joe won't either).

So mom's, did you have the "gooey baby" placed on you or did you request the baby be cleaned? If baby was "gooey" how did your partner react? Would love to hear your experiences!!

10 comments:

Jenny said...

My birthing plans went right out the window since both Trent and Callie had skinny umbilical cords that got pinched off during contractions and so they both had to have a little help after birth.
I would have asked them to put the baby in a towel and give it to me right away. It's the best "moisturizer" for their skin, so someone either you or the nurse should rub it in, not wipe it off. After the whole birthing process, Joe will be sooooo over the "gooey" stuff and in the moment it you won't even think about it! My baby's were also overdue, so they didn't have much left anyway!

Anonymous said...

I didn't even see Vana until 3 hours after she was born by c-section & I wasn't given the option. Still kinda mad at the hospital about that one...I woulda held her all gooed-over. Tell HoseB it's good prep for when your baby poops on him, cuz as you well know, that WILL happen!!
~xo~Anj

Andrea said...

After Nevin was born he was placed on me and I did not mind that he was gooey. At that time all I wanted was him in my arms. In fact I even kissed his head when it was all gooey. By the time your little guy is born you wont and Joe will not mind that he is gooey. Oh also Shawn wanted me to add.... Joe will see much worse than a gooey baby. =)

Kari Greenlees said...

OMG. Thanks for making me DIE OF LAUGHTER here at work. That is the FUNNIEST thing I have ever heard. I love Joe. I don't have any babies (obviously), but I think I would definitely touch the "gooey" baby.

Anonymous said...

John and I were on the fence too about that - John wanted the baby to get 'a quick swipe with a towel' before handing him to me. I don't think that I would've cared though if he was gooey. We ended up with a c-section though so they cleaned him off before giving him to John. It all goes so fast that you don't really notice or care. Its a nice reward to see them right away instead of waiting. Love the question!

sal said...

i love that joe ~ i laughed right out loud ~ & the best part is, i can picture him in class asking that :) :) :) :) too funny ~ joe, i love ya ;)

Rebecca said...

There is nothing better than that first first touch - goo or no goo. And think of your babe - wouldn't you want you mama and dad to just love you up right away?

My advice - keep the blankets and towels on top of you guys but not between you two. (Don't wrap right away.) That skin-to-skin time is bliss, you won't notice the goo (believe me, that's the least of the birth goo you will care about), and the skin contact will help your baby boy regulate his temperature and heart rate outside the womb.

BTW - I'm proud of Joe for asking this question. It's great he asks what's on his mind!

Carrie Weatherby said...

I held Kaden right away- after 25 hours of labor and 3 hours of pushing, I didn't care WHAT he looked like (which was a long, gray, slimy monkey, by the way)... Kael- they cleaned him off after the C-section, and Keith got to hold him first- I kissed him after he had on his hat and booties... Either way, I was just so happy to see them!! Joe will be fine- goo or no goo!! You'll know in the moment what is best for you- trying to guess now is hard!! :)

Shan said...

Just stopping by from "Life in Fast Forward." We're expecting our third in a little less than two months. So first... I would touch the gooey baby. With my son I still had my gown on when they put him on my chest and rubbed him down. (He's practically a man now, so things were done differently back then.) With my daughter, there were complications such that I didn't get to hold her right away. Hoping to hold Baby Fynn *straight away* this time, and to enjoy some skin-to-skin contact before she's days old, too.
Second, this post made me laugh so hard my belly button popped out! Okay, so that's not exactly difficult these days, but still...
:+)

Brooke said...

Thanks for all of the advice ladies!!! Last week's baby class was pretty low key (or Joe was pretty low key) just in case you were wondering...